Monday, January 5, 2015

Good Monday Morning!

Tonight I start a six week series of watercolor classes.  It's been awhile since I've pulled out the Arches and I really do miss it.  I always have the intentions of doing a series, but for some very unknown reason, I end up with a large oil on the easel instead.  I have always noticed that my watercolors improve my oils, simply by the reason of a more intentional composition.  The composition in a watercolor must be thought out ahead of time, the palette choices, spacial relationships.  Yes, you can lift color back out, but painting back over for a light value plane isn't an option so you slow down and think.  And plan.  And think.  And draw.  And then let the spontaneous quality of the watercolor happen.  I'm always excited to see a group of new students fall in love - just like I did 23 years ago.  And I still fall in love when I pull them out again!




No comments:

Post a Comment