Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Hello Summer!!!


It's been awhile since I spent any time blogging! A couple of announcements - My workshop in Creede, CO has been postponed until September due to "increment" - meaning HORRIBLE - weather. Snow, rain, winds - sound familiar? We here in Utah have had the same thing and now we are preparing ourselves for snow melt flooding, probably the worst in years. I heard that in the last 35 days, we had rain for 28 days. We've had moments of sunshine and I've taken advantage of those days! Second time out with the gang painting. We have an unbelievable group of painters from this area that get together once a week to paint, have lunch and talk art. Today was a beautiful day and we had the pleasure of entertaining a horse, a burro, two goats, three sheep and a black lab. Who can say that everyday? The landscape was a bit busy and we all had to do a little "embellishing"! Here is a little pic of our friends...

I am SERIOUSLY going to do more field study painting. The act of simplifying information and building compositions from life is invaluable to a studio painter. I think it is the element that I need most in my work. I feel like there are so many different styles of painting - plein air, tonal, traditional, stylistic, contemporary - and they are all beautiful. I would not necessarily call myself a plein air painter, I work from thumbnails, plein air studies, my own photography, and memory, but every time I get out, I learn something invaluable to carry over into my larger work. Color notes, values, relationships - you just can't get that from a photo. And being out in nature reminds me what it's all about! Back to the land, back to the trees, the water, the mountains, the changing skies. And I live in an amazing landscape - our valleys and meadows are the Best!
Another announcement - I will be doing a small works show at the Crowley Gallery and Cafe here in my hometown of Ogden, Ut. This week June 3rd, I will do a demo for the gallery's art stroll from 6-9 pm. I will work in oil for the demo. Then on June 18th, they will hold a private reception for my watercolors and oils, along with appetizers and wine. It should be a great time and I will post the invite when I have it! If you are anywhere near me for the demo, come on down and visit me.
I'm also gearing up for the PleinAir Show with the Kneeland Gallery in August, a new body of work for Mtn. Trails Gallery in Jackson, WY as well as the Western Visions Show at the Jackson Museum of Wildlife Art. Other shows are in the making and I will announce them as they come. I've kind of taken some time off from the traveling I did last year. Marco has a job that requires many hours and won't be able to travel with me as much - what a bummer :( Sure glad we took advantage of it last year. I think this is my year to really get out in the field and concentrate on quality over quantity more than ever. It's really scary to take away options from the sales arena, but I know I am making the right decision. I guess this is where a little faith goes a long way! And I always seem to make it...... so far. :)
Happy painting all - get out and paint! Play with some field studies and breathe a little mother nature!


No comments:

Post a Comment