Monday, April 11, 2011

Introspective thoughts on Art

I ran across some writings I did last summer, as I rode the wild ride of my art career through shows, good ones and bad ones, some unbelievable and much appreciated press coverage, some confidence hits and misses and a new life in the making. As I read the writings, they ring true to my heart today as much as ever. I will share, and please feel free to give feedback!!

Each voice is unique. It is only an artists' job to dig deeper, work harder, get more soulful. It is not your job to judge or compare - time and history will tell of excellence or mediocrity. It is just your job to show up and paint, give it ALL you have! Consider all the elements in that painting. Keep to your integrity in each piece, make it the best you can possibly do. The rest is not up to you - what will be will be.

Judging yourself and punishing yourself does not make you better. It serves no purpose. Let go - let God. Pay attention along the way to detours, to people you meet with kindred spirit, and stay with your priorities at all times. A stable, peaceful mind lends itself to better work, a more artistic life well rounded. The ego emits short puffs of elation and long bouts of pain and comparison. Try your hardest to see it for what it is and push on.

Maybe this resonates with you and maybe it doesn't. I know that as individual as we are, as diverse as we are, that every voice matters and that it is your opportunity to find yourself and your voice and THAT will make the difference in this world of ours. Be unique, be honest, and know that somewhere, somehow, you will make a difference!


6 comments:

  1. I agree 100%.
    Even though every artist has something unique to give, becoming aware of what that voice is on a conscious level comes to most only after time, following inspiration, and lots sweat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful header art by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I see why there is so much peace and harmony in your paintings! Your words are as thoughtful as your artwork. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Ann! I struggle with harsh self criticism and comparisons and sometimes I just need to give myself a good talking to! Get things back into proper perspective and remember why I love what I do!

    ReplyDelete