Wednesday, October 13, 2010

New Directions!

I have decided today to take the blog in a little different direction. My life is so full of things that make me happy besides Art! I have done some serious nesting over the last few months - my family, my beautiful garden, cooking, music, all the good things in life. I am discovering that balance is the key to living in the moment and appreciating every experience that comes my way. We are all such multi-faceted beings! While painting stays on the forefront of my mind constantly, always studying, always composing, I do get a chance to do other things and some of these I will share with you - starting with one of my favorite recipes of all time. When I make these, my family comes running and I have enough leftovers to feed them for a few days while I disappear down in the studio. I hope you like......

Pork Roast Carnitas with Pico de Gallo

A braised pork roast, cooked until it practically falls apart, with an incredibly intense and delicious flavor.

1 tablespoon firmly packed brown sugar

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon onion powder

1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves

1 tablespoon beef base

Freshly ground pepper

1 (4-pound) pork loin roast

1/2 cup water

Juice of 1 fresh orange

Juice of 1 fresh lime

2 tablespoons soy sauce

2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro or 1 tablespoon dried

Condiments:

Pico de Gallo (recipe follows)

Fresh corn or flour tortillas (warm before serving)

1 large white onion, chopped

Fresh cilantro leaves, chopped

Lime wedges

  1. In a small bowl combine the brown sugar, garlic powdered, onion powder, oregano leaves, beef base, salt and pepper. Set aside.
  2. Brown pork roast on all sides in large cooking pot over medium heat.
  3. Reduce heat and evenly coat the roast on all sides with spice mixture.
  4. Add the water, orange juice, lime juice, soy sauce and the fresh cilantro. Heat to boiling; reduce heat; cover and simmer over low heat for 3 1/2 to 4 hours or until roast is so tender, it falls apart.
  5. Discard any fat and "shred" roast with a fork, allowing meat to absorb any juices left in the pan.

Pico de Gallo

Fresh Tomato and Chili Pepper Salsa

4 large ripe tomatoes, finely chopped*

4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

1 medium white onion, finely chopped**

1 1/2 teaspoons packed brown sugar

2 green onions, finely chopped

2 teaspoons green Tabasco pepper sauce

4 to 6 cloves garlic, finely minced

1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste

4 to 6 pickled or fresh jalapeno peppers, chopped

Freshly ground pepper to taste

Juice of 1 small lime (about 2 tablespoons) or to taste

  1. Combine all ingredients in glass bowl. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.

Makes about 4 cups.



No comments:

Post a Comment