Friday, October 1, 2010

Yin and Yang

October, can you believe it? The mornings are getting crisp and cool in these parts! Maybe it's the natural order of things, but I'm starting to feel the yearning for "hunkering" in. All summer long it's been traveling here, going there, doing what I need to do to keep the ball rolling with this art life I have chosen. Fall is in the air and I'm in the mood to stay home and cook, clean out my garden, as well as head down to the studio and hole myself in alone through the season. Does everyone go through this? Does anyone else feel the need to get serious, pull in the reins and hide for awhile to get some footing back? Maybe it's nesting, maybe it is assimilating everything in the last five months that I have learned. Regardless, it's time to get down to business.

There has been so much talk lately in the art world about technology - help or hindrance. I think the general consensus is that the art world has been rocked by the internet. I can only speak for myself, but this is another area where I feel like pulling in the reins. I am mostly talking about social media sites, but I think I might just reduce my activity in front of the computer screen :) Notice I say - think - it's become an addiction of sorts! Instant connection, instant gratification. I have absolutely LOVED the ability to see such fantastic artwork out there in the cyberworld. I love keeping up with who's who and what's what. Who could have ever imagined there were so many wonderful artists out there making their way. It's inspiring and intimidating at the same time. Yin and Yang.....positive and negative.....One can be inspired and enlightened and then the next day start playing a comparison game and beat the hell out of yourself. How to find a healthy, happy medium.... It takes getting out there, reaching out for more information and then going inside to find yourself. And in the end, it really is all about the relationship between you and that canvas, you and your higher source, what you have to say or what will be said through you. For me, art is about connection with spirit - for the artist and for the viewer. And it's that connection that keeps me digging, searching and "hunkering" in!
Happy painting to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment